Master of Sciences Mayor in Physics
Objectives of the program
The main objective is to give the students a solid basis of physics with experience in research in physics or astronomy and allow them to continue studying for a PhD in physics or astronomy at Chilean or foreign universities. The program has a strong emphasis in fundamental physics and preparing the student to do research in an area of physics or astronomy which is the speciality of participating professors of the physics department and the institute for astronomy of UCN.
The graduate has a necessary knowledge to teach at his/her speciality at a university.
Continuation of his/her studies
The graduate of the Master program in physics can continue their studies at Chilean and foreign universities that offer PhDs in physics or astronomy. They can also further their studies in related disciplines such as mathematics, engineering and pedagogics of science.
Duration of the program
2 years (4 semesters)
Requirements for admission and selection criteria
Have a bachelors degree in physics or astronomy, or a professional title in an equivalent program and included in LFA, obtained at a Chilean or foreign university.
Till December to start in March the following year, and till June to start in August of the same year.
- Application letter to the master program which expresses your area of interest.
- Two recommendation letters.
- Curriculum Vitae.
- Legalized photocopy of your bachelor or profesional degree.
- List of grades for the courses taken.
- Photocopy of your identity card or passport.
- Two passport size photographs.
- The course outline for the highest level courses taken for classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics and electromagnetism.
Those interested in applying can send the documents in digital form to:
The director: Sergio Curilef
Telephone: (56) (55) 355512
The master program in physics has been accredited for 5 years by CNA (from April 2012 till April 2017).